Pages

November 10, 2008

Here's some Thanksgiving Memories for You!

...Give God Thanks...

I took my decorations down the day after Halloween and now have a few Thanksgiving things up...mainly for the kids to enjoy when visiting grandma's house. I came across a couple old pictures taken at my moms when she would have the kids in for Thanksgiving...so priceless!.. I am sure my nieces and nephews will enjoy this post..LOL ..and friends welcome too! I think we usually do as our moms did to make memories for the grandkids, though there is no way I could possible match what Grandma Wellman would do!







Top row left to right..Cindy(that's me) Diane, Karen, David, Darlene, Susie, Kathy and Christine . In front, are ...Joanie and Jill and sitting is Debbie.



The big turkey in the back ground was a piƱata mom actually made and filled with candy for the kids ! Poor Ol Tom turkey never took such a beating to release that candy he had inside! a special memory I have of this day was that the kids had a play they did and had made a stage with a sheet curtain, in which they each came out and sang, read a poem or something from sunday School. Aunt Karen and Aunt Cindy were "special guests"..and got in FREE. Uncle Don and Uncle Voris refused to pay the admission fee of 5 cents to get in, so we found them instead, trying to "peek into the basement window!"..oh my..such a fuss by the kiddies! What a riot and what a precious memory!


Mom used to fuss so and make things instead of buying ready made. The made a calendar once...sort of the days until Christmas countdown you see...each day in December had a candy cane on it and a scissors hanging to cut it off...this was for Debbie when her mom would bring her over for the mail ( dad had the post office in the front section of our home) Needless to say...as more grandkids came along, grandma switched to having "grandma bags for them to take home filled with goodies. their mommas decided all that sugar high wasn't a good thing though..and grandma bags had to be changed to fruit..like apples, oranges or grapes. ...bummer huh? She would decorate the Thanksgiving table with a set of pilgrim dolls that had cellulose like faces...they were very old and I am not sure where they came from...but were at her house as long as I can remember. What a treasure of memories they harbor at thr Wellman Thanksgiving dinners!


Dad and the boys usually went hunting for pheasant on Thanksgiving mornings...so many times there would be fresh fallen snow. the house would be warm and cozy and smelled of pumpkin pies baking..or her wonderful yeast rolls and cinnamon rolls ( sticky buns) ...and of course...turkey!


A few years later, the second , then a third, generation of grandkids arrive.. I believe at one time ,mom boasted of starting a nation..she had I would guess around 42 grandkids in all by the time she passed on. ..and she loved them all!




Front row is Jeff, Caryn, Andrea, Angie, Jennifer 2nd row is Matt, Steve,Janine, Stephanie, Susie and Jamie .... Back row is Lindsay, Darlene, Kathy, Jill , Christine, Diane and David

9 comments:

  1. Oh, you are making me miss my Grandma! She was so "into" the kids, we had so much fun at her house! The memories at Grandma's house are so special. I'm so glad I got a chance to peek at your memories! Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. What wonderful memories! Thanks so much for sharing those with us. have a blessed day!
    Juanita

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a wonderful post!
    I love the older pictures. They look much like mine when we were growing up. I miss my Grandma so much. Such good memories!
    I love the music that you have chosen for your blog.
    That Toby Keith and Alan Jackson ones are just a couple of my favorites!
    Thanks for taking me back in time.
    ~Janenen~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Cindy, I miss Grandma so much! Especially around the holidays that she loved to do up so grand. I loved seeing the pictures of all us cousins together. Seems like forever ago already.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's too bad I came after the Christmases when they used to have their plays in he basement (by the time I was old enough to go down there, it was just plain ol' spooky and dark! lol).

    This time of year I especially start thinking about Grandma alot. She was really in her element when she was doing her baking and fussing over the holidays, wasn't she? When you're young, you don't appreciate how much time and thoughtfulness she put into the holidays to make it special for everyone. I miss her so much. :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. The house and garage always looked so pretty in the snow. Just think, not all the grandkids are even in the picture and now they've had kids. Mom and Dad did start a nation!Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great pinata she did a great job. Kids seem to have lots of fun with those. Fun memories to have.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for entering my giveaway and giving me a plug! I've got you entered and giving you extra credit for the link and your faithful comments!

    Hugs to you, my sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have to laugh at this picture-whoever took it forgot to tell us they were ready. I think Sue is the only one looking at the camera. But, that is pretty typical of family gatherings-we all pretty much talked and talked and talked. It was always a very noisy, bustling house at the holidays. This is a nostalgic photo because it is before the grandkids started having kids-once that happened it was alot harder for everyone to get their schedules free for Grandma's because of the other family obligations. Good memories. I always loved the Rice Crispie Wreaths. :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments made by some special people!