Pages

December 23, 2008

A Christmas Memory






It was Christmas Day ,1957 and I was 12 years old. The family had all come back home for Christmas...my oldest brother Howard and his wife Delores and their little girl , Susie. My other brother , Don and his wife Donice, were there with their new baby Debbie... who was about a year old. My sister Helen and her new husband , Voris and my sister Karen, were there as well.... plus the wonderful parents we had...June and Howard Wellman.

Howie( named Howard Jr) had just got a new camera for Christmas...one that had a delay so he was able to run around and sit into the photo after clicking the camera...this was a state of the art camera for this time in electronics...so we all were amazed by his photography skills. ..and the ability to get a family picture with himself in it!



Click on picture to enlarge



Top row left to right: Howie, Dee, Voris Second row : Dad, Don, Helen, Donice holding Debbie, and mom . Bottom row: Susie, Karen and Cindy.. (wearing our new Christmas dresses!)




June and Howard

My niece Angie features some neat ornaments on her blog ..A View From Here. This particular one was made by me with mom tying on the jute strings while she was in the nursing home. We made over fourty for her growing family and it was such a joy watching her pass these out from a basket , to her grandchildren....and to know that Angie treasures it so.
Six of the family members pictured are no longer with us and it saddens me as do I miss them, yet know they are celebrating the Lord's birth in Heaven together. I hope they hear my thoughts as I say ..."I love and remember the times we spent together, and miss you all very much" .May the poem offer comfort to those who are celebrating Christmas and . missing a loved one who has passed on.




Christmas In Heaven


Author Unknown




I see the countless Christmas


trees around the world below


With tiny lights, like Heaven's stars,


reflecting on the snow.


The sight is so spectacular,


please wipe away the tear,


For I am spending Christmas


with Jesus Christ this year.



I hear the many Christmas songs


that people hold so dear,


But the sounds of music can't compare


with the Christmas choir up here.

I have no words to tell you,


the joy their voices bring,


For it is beyond description,


to hear the angels sing.


I know how much you miss me;


I see the pain inside your heart.


But I am not so far away,


we really aren't apart.


So be happy for me, dear ones,


you know I hold you dear.


And be glad I'm spending Christmas


with Jesus Christ this year.


I sent you each a special gift,


from my heavenly home above.


I sent you each a memory


of my undying love.


After all, love is a gift

more precious than pure gold,


It was always most important

in the stories Jesus told.


Please love and keep each other,


as my Father said to do,


For I can't count the blessing


or love He has for each of you.


So have a Merry Christmas

and wipe away that tear,


Remember, I am spending Christmas


with Jesus Christ this year.









4 comments:

  1. What a wonderful picture and the story to go with it! Gorgeous poem!

    Have a very Merry CHRISTmas!

    I am having my 100th post giveaway come check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a wonderful Christmas memory and picture to go with it! Love the poem too!

    Have a very Merry CHRISTmas!

    By the way I am having a giveaway come sign up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the little tag that would make a great idea for a "Christams Past" tree to do all those who have gone on before us. Have A great Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all the stories about your family! Thank you for being my blogging friend!

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

Comments made by some special people!