Pages

November 15, 2008

A Thanksgiving Poem

This is a picture of my husband's grandmother near Sheffield Iowa.
Bobs father used to tell me how his mom had a way of talking with the animals...looks like she was telling those turkeys they need to fatten up!
May your stuffing be tasty
May your turkey plump,
May your potatoes and gravy
Have never a lump.
May your yams be delicious
and your pies take the prize,
And may your Thanksgiving dinner
Stay off your thighs
Stephanie wrote “Poking around on my ancestry.com and amazed to see how many connections have been formed with others I am related to but never met. This was posted by Kirk Boyenga and is an undated picture of my great-grandparents Seede and Reendeltje Boyenga while they still lived in Germany. My grandfather was one of 11 children I think (?) and was born here but some siblings were not - not sure of the name of the child in the photo but certainly a great-aunt or uncle.”


My sister Karen from Medina Ohio wrote.."Those turkeys almost look tame! Little did they know what she going to do to them! My Grandma Justine was quite the poultry lady also...found many ways to make money for her family on their farm. Those ladies really had to work hard in everything they did. Happy Thanksgiving everyone."

I found this picture I have of my grandma Justine with her chickens. Wouldn't it be neat to own one of her little " chick houses "? I wonder what these are really called....does anyone have the name for them?
.
Grandma Justine Schultz..with her newly hatched chicks

6 comments:

  1. Amen to the "thighs" sentiments! LOL. Love the old picture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those turkeys almost look tame! Little did they know what she going to do to them! My Grandma Justine was quite the poultry lady also...found many ways to make money for her family on their farm. Those ladies really had to work hard in everything they did. Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great picture, I love it and the story too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great old pictures and that poem maybe if we chant it while we ate it would not go to our thighs?(ya right)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved the pics! I WISH I could worry about the turkey and the gravy! My mom's making PORK ROAST????? I guess I'm going to have to "Have Myself My Own Merry Little Thanksgiving Dinner" at home LOL. Karen

    ReplyDelete

Comments made by some special people!