Pages

October 22, 2008

Crock Pot Chicken

For this and other great recipes , see A year of Crock Potting .
I have made this particular chicken in the crock pot several times before, and is a favorite at our house. To satisfy your rotisserie chicken cravings, throw a whole (skinned) chicken in the crock pot today, using Stephanie's awesome seasoning blend. The result will be as the author describes ...." moist and delicious with virtually no fat." I liked her recipe , though I have also used seasoned salt..
I would remove giblet pack and wash chicken, inside and out. Spray or coat entire surface of chicken with olive oil. Spray inside of crockpot with spray as well. Sprinkle inside and outside of chicken with seasoned salt.(Lawreys works well)
Step2 Roll aluminum foil into balls and place in the bottom of the crockpot. Make enough to hold chicken away from bottom of crockpot. Place chicken, back side down on top of aluminum foil balls. DO NOT ADD WATER. Cook on high for about 6 hours

Here is the seasoning blend and directions that Stephanie has kindly provided us . I highly recommend subscribing to her blog...she has new recipes as this weekly.
--1 whole chicken, skinned (4-5 pounds)



--2 tsp kosher salt (if you'd like it as salty as the ones in the store, add another 1 tsp.)


--1 tsp paprika


--1 tsp onion powder


--1/2 tsp dried thyme


--1 tsp Italian seasoning


--1/2 tsp cayenne pepper


--1/2 tsp black pepper


--pinch of chili pepper (probably not necessary)



--4 whole garlic cloves (optional)


--1 yellow onion, quartered (optional)


The Directions.
6 quart crockpot for a 5 pound bird.
Skin the chicken .( Skinning is optional...do this if you want to reduce fat content) ...or if you like the skin left on... drain off fat during cooking process, using a bulb syringe as you would a turkey in an oven).
In a bowl, combine all of dried spices. Rub the spice mixture all over the bird, inside and out. Plop the bird breast-side down into the crockpot.
If desired, shove 4 whole garlic cloves and a quartered onion inside the bird.
Do not add water.It will make it's own juices.
Cover and cook on high for 4-5 hours, or on low for 8. The meat is done when it is fully cooked and has reached desired tenderness. The longer you cook it, the more tender the meat.
If it looks easy...it is.. Your husband and family will love this !

8 comments:

  1. I LOVE crockpot cooking and can't wait to try this recipe out. Thanks for sharing it Cindy!

    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful blog,I enjoyed my visit here so very much,
    your words,recipes,music and all I felt right at home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for sharing such a simple and yummy sounding way to cook chicken, Cindy!! YUM!!! Can't wait to try it!! ~~Trudy~~

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love crockpot recipes! This sounds good!

    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love rotisserie chicken but I buy it at the store now I can make it myself! Thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! New reader here! That chicken looks awesome and I can't wait to try it! I also can't wait to browse "A Year of Crockpotting"

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have used this aluminum foil method for years, and it truly does make a wonderful rotisserie type chicken.

    My favorite spice to use is one packet of dry Italian salad dressing. You just rub it all over and drop it in. Couldn't be any easier!

    ~Michele

    ReplyDelete
  8. oooh, this sounds REALLY good!!

    You've been Boo'ed!! pop over to my blog to see!

    ~Tidymom

    ReplyDelete

Comments made by some special people!