Pages

June 29, 2008

Lets go for a Garden Walk!


Dang those mosquitoes though! You better put on on repellent before we get started!! Most of these plants came from my beloved mom...I wonder now, if she knew how much pleasure they would give me one day? I think she did...as they certainly did her! OK lets get started!




And here are some more things to see!








Future canned green beans....


.....And Tomatoes




Moms old white chair gets a new assignment..hide the air conditioner!

Hazelruthes's
Show Me Wednesday--Your Americana Decor


An Old mail box converted into a bird house

Would you believe..this is a wooden quilt?
Photo by Primcyn
I have always wanted one of these quilts . We don't see too many in our state, but if you were to take a drive in the country in Iowa , Tennessee ,Indiana, Kentucky and a few other places, you will see plenty on some very old barns and corn cribs..maybe a few on fences and signs as well.. I don't have a barn but have a front porch and a fence. I decided to do a patriotic one for the front porch first, and this was the final result. When not quite so windy, I will set Matilda my life sized lady with a red hat , out on the chair to wave at travelers as they pass by...she is friendly that way! I think they will notice the quilt too , don't you?To make this, I purchased a 4 by 4 ft piece of plywood, lightly sanding it and added two coats white house paint. when dry, I drew out the pattern blocks I saw on a quilters website. I believe this was called Amish Star, an appropriate name, as we live in an area where Amish have settled. It also happens we love a patriotic theme, so this worked out well for us. I lightly penciled the color they were to be painted to avoid confusion..and it does get confusing . It took 2 coats paint and only one day to work on it. I used a spray sealant and Bob hung it up , using four wood screws in the pre-drilled corners.Here are some fantastic websites that talk about these barn quilts and also one tells how to make them..Enjoy..it was actually a very easy and quick project!
http://www.barnquilts.com/default.htmBarn Quilts of Pocahontas CountyBarn Quilts of Washington CountyIowa Barn FoundationOhio Quilt BarnsAdams County Ohio Quilt Sampler ProjectNot Barn Yesterday: A Clothesline of Quilts in AppalachiaQuilt Trail (Northeast Tennessee)Patchwork Jewels of Monroe County (Ohio)Silos and Smokestacks National Heritage AreaWay back when barn quilts

10 comments:

  1. Ah, I love it all! Beautiful touches everywhere you look! I thoroughly enjoyed the slide show. I haven't been brave enough to figure out how to do that on my blog. Maybe someday! Love the little converted bird box too. Oh so clever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How pretty!!!! At least you try to hide your air conditioner. Not me along with the HUGE propane tank. I love those little signs you have in your garden. Are they painted? Thanks for sharing.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. How lovely ! Bet people think your place is a real showplace in Tampico! Did your red peony make it? I can imagine Mom trying to find some weeds in heaven to pull!She loved working in the flower beds and her strawberry patch. Thanks for sharing. Love, Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen, Mom would be proud seeing her flowers in the yard right now. of 13 peonie bushes, 7 bloomed this year..the others too small yet..one was a dark pink but not the red one we have been hoping to see bloom..maybe next year, but afraid I didn't get a start from it! The three kinds I had bloom were gorgeous though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary, I bought the signs out in Ohio last year...from Judy Reynolds daughters shop. Yes...they are hand painted. I bring them in every fall and spray them with a protective spray and look new yet. I dn't know who painted them, but she did a great hob didn't she!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Doona, I got the idea for the birdhouse from a fellow crafter at an antique shop this year. When i saw hers, I added some ideas as I already had a birdhouse standing there from previous owners. In the winter I put a hand painted snowman cover Bev atkins painted for me..thinking i will put up a sign..closed for the season..reason, freezin..LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. Doona, I got the idea for the birdhouse from a fellow crafter at an antique shop this year. When i saw hers, I added some ideas as I already had a birdhouse standing there from previous owners. In the winter I put a hand painted snowman cover Bev atkins painted for me..thinking i will put up a sign..closed for the season..reason, freezin..LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. What beautiful flowers and love the ones from your mom, I should go to mom's house (which is now owned by my nephew) and dig up some to transplant at my home, I guess I haven't because it would make me sad.
    Love the mailbox/birdhouse and your mom's chair.

    *Rondell*

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your garden just brings memories of Grandma flying right back to me Cindy. You certainly have her gift of gardening...all of you girls do. She would be proud!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I also have flowers dug from grandma's house and mom's. And now I dig them and plant them at my son's house. What a great way to carry on a family tradition. The bulbs and flowers give me great memeories of my Gram in her garden, and my mom who loves to garden but her health makes it difficult. I love sharing plants and memories.

    ReplyDelete

Comments made by some special people!