Pages

May 5, 2008

Taken back in 1926. this picture displays great skill of the photographer, by the sharpness and clarity of the photo still today, 72 years later. This is my mom at age 16 yrs. sporting a Marseille's haircut and dark pink chiffon dress.
She was the best mom and grandmother ever!



Mother's Day
"All that I am or ever hope to be, I owe to my angel Mother."
~ Abraham Lincoln

MOMISMS.......... Mothers are the sweetest part of our lives. They are the person who is the most concerned about us throughout their lives. They not only shower their blessings upon us but also fully exercise their right to scold us. Of course the reason behind their doing so is again our betterment and they are only interested in making us better human beings and successful personalities. Still whatever they say seems so very musical to our ears. Is not it?

Perhaps you heard these a few times or have some more to add...what is most important...we remembered them, as do our children! I know I can still hear mom saying these words, as sure as it were yesterday and not 50 years ago.Remembering sure brings a smile to my face and perhaps will yours as well.

A little "birdy" told me! ..or ...Jenny wren told me what you were up to.
All I do is follow you around, picking up after you like some maid.
Your nose will grow if you tell a lie!
Beds are not made for jumping on.
Close the door! You do not live in a barn.
Do not pick your nose in public.
Do not run in the house or slam the doors.
Do not sit too close to the television; it will ruin your eyes...or don't cross your eyes, they will stay that way.
Do not talk with your mouth full!
Eat your vegetables; they are good for you...especially the yellow ones.(yucky squash!)
Enough is enough! ( this was the final warning call and got our attention!)
I do not care what "everyone" is doing. I care what YOU are doing.
If God had wanted you to have holes in your ears (eyebrows, tongue, etc.) He would have put them there!
If you are too sick to go to school, you are too sick to play outside.
I am doing this for your own good.
Say that again and I will wash your mouth out with soap.( and was true to her word!)
Shut the door! I am not heating the entire neighborhood!
When I was your age, I had to walk four miles through the snow, over fields, to go to school
Who taught you that? You did not learn that in this house!
A little soap & water never killed anybody
Go to your room and think about what you did! ..or..you are grounded 2 weeks!
I do not care who started it, I said stop!
You can go out to play...after you have done your chores.
Called us "Kellen" when upset ( would get mixed up as to who she was yelling to..Karen, Helen or Cindy) Thanks for remembering this one Angie! and also Karen added in comments, "There was a buildup to the Kellen. It went like this....Cin, Kare, Hell........KELLEN!!!!!!!! Then we all would come running"!!!
Mom would say something was" in the whatsamacallit"-could be the hallway, cubbyhole,living room closet, buffet or anywhere! We'd run and check all three
She'd say a tongue would beging to turn black when you'd lie and I'd run in to see if mine had started turning yet. (Thanks for the memories Karen!)
ahhh to hear these words again...I sure miss you mom !
Happy Mother's Day Everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments made by some special people!