Pages

April 22, 2008

Migration of the white pelican

What a surprise we had today, as we drove home by the flooded waters of the Mississippi and Rock rivers...We saw hunreds of white pelicans! This was a first for me , as in my 63 years, had never seen them before! Every spring we always enjoy watching the Eagles soar , as they nest in the bluffs and trees of the Mississippi River and other areas . Many migrating birds come through our area as they head north for the summer. Unlike the brown pelicans, which are year-round residents of Florida, white pelicans spend only brief time here in the midwest , as their migrating habits are based on the melting and freezing of fresh water in the northern lakes.
White pelicans search for food in large groups. Instead of diving for food the way brown pelicans do, white pelicans swim on the surface in a semicircle and herd the fish to shallower water near the shore. Then using their pouches as fishnets, the white pelicans submerge their heads and necks and scoop up the fish. This probably explains why they enjoyed "fishing" today in the back waters of the flooding river. It was a spectacular sight!
It is spring time here and they are beginning their journey north again from the warmer winter climates to the south. I read that this cycle is repeated every year. This is why they are often referred to as “snowbirds.”

8 comments:

  1. Wow! What a wonderful sight to see! I never knew that they migrated. I love to learn little nuggets. Thanks Cyn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cindy,we see them in our area usually down around the river near Alton. Several years ago I couldn't believe my eyes when I looked over at the park next to my house and saw all these big white birds meandering around..about 7 or 8. By the time I got my camera and could get close enough they took off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That must of been really neat to see Cindy. I can't believe how much information you know about these birds ~ the boys will be lucky to learn all of this through you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thought you were pulling my leg Cindy. I grew up in Ill and never saw a white pelican there before. Cool. Are you sure they are pelicans????

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karen...that is what I told Bob..no way! There were hundreds of them! I think it was because of all the backwater flooding..marshland setting for them to "fish" , It's much like Huricon araea in wisconsin around here with rock river over flowing its banks..as it the Mississippi in areas..the wildlife birds love this! We saw a lot of cranes and geeses also.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Angie, I wish the boys had been with me...we had the binoculars out on this one! I came home and read up about them.It said they have a 9 foot wing span! the corn fields are all flooded near the Rock river...like one great big lake for miles...perfect setting for these birds to stop for a meal.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Helen, I am not surprised you have seem them there...the river can offer many surprises when it comes to seeing wildlife. Up this way it is usually the Eagles and geese that get all the attention.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Blondie...I guess we are never too old to keep learning something new...a real treat to see these!

    ReplyDelete

Comments made by some special people!