Pages

March 6, 2008

What Spring Means to Me...Hi Mom!

Dutchman's Breeches was one of the earlier wildflowers to bloom in mom's flower bed.
Howie's purple woodland violets, a Mothers day gift to mom, now

florish in the fields behind the Wellman home also our flower beds.
Mom's Pink Peonie


Columbine



Peach Hybrid Iris




Moms old iron flower cart on Helen's porch




Yellow and white hybrid Iris ..Grandma's white/pink peonies


What Spring means to me


It is late winter here in Illinois, and with the approaching Spring comes many memories of a happy childhood. . I will look out into my yard and see flowers blooming ,and I'll think of my mom and my Grandma Wellman ,and their hopes for these flowers , as they planted them on the Wellman homestead, many years ago. I'll see the cottage roses that once bloomed under my grandma Schultz's window on her farm in Sandwich Illinois , and I'll remember mom speaking of this , as hers also would bloom early summer under her kitchen window. I'll remember the many dandelions in her yard and in mine...what a precious time it will be teaching my grandsons how to blow the seedlings from their dried up flowers, even though I know that means more dandelions in the yard... but all the more for making chains from their stems! I'll soon see the wild violets that have transplanted from moms house to mine...reminds me of the story mom told of how they got started in her yard...my brother Howard, now deceased, brought a plant home for Mothers Day...only to years later divide and take over her entire back field...the most beautiful site every Spring when they would bloom...she always said...Howie was coming back to visit when those violets would bloom!..(.as he does in my yard as well) I remember picking lilacs for school dances, Iris and poppies on memorial day and taking them to veterans and family graves at the cemetery , and teaching my nieces and children how to make garden fairies from hollyhock flowers as we sat along the old fence row my grandfather put in in the 1800's ... Each flower or weed...has a special time to bloom a new memory for me. What a gift my mom gave me with sharing her plants...they can help so much with healing when you lose loved ones ..like a rebirth of life's memories in my mind..there is something about having flowers from my moms yard that comforts me ..and will each year as they all bring such special memories with them.Wishing you each a wonderful memory this year in your garden with all the memories they hold for you. Grieving for a loved one can be really rough...but there is some things God gives us to heal...and I think they are called family and nature . Enjoy the Season and the moment you are in...love around you ...treasure each passing second...really look at those faces that make up your life, and know that they may not be there forever... but are all like flowers in your lives.Memories can stay for ever and be passed on to your children and grandchildren. A seed has been planted in your heart, and your heart will grow like a flower with happiness and beauty .



I think of mom whenever I read this poem.. my heart is lifted and my eyes are directed to the skies.



.But what about when we are dead and gone


will you love me then, does love go on?


I cross my arms snug as I look out at night


at the moon in the dark and the stars shining bright


Look at the stars...how they shine and glow


some of the stars died a long time ago.


Still they all shine brightly in the evening skies,


Because love, like starlight, never dies.... .Deb Gliori

4 comments:

  1. What a lovely tribute! I have many wonderful childhood memories associated with flowers too. The vivid scent of the blooming lilacs, the huge iris blooms, and little dolls made from hollyhock blooms. The language of flowers is universal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Donna..you are so right...their language is universal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found your blog,I miss my mom too so much! I know I'm not the only one to do so but sometimes you feel that way but after reading a few of your posts about your mother it made me feel better. We were very close, it's been almost 6 years and I know life has to go on but sometimes it is so hard. Thanks for writing about your mom, I'll be back to read more.

    Blessings, Rondell

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Cindy, been a looooong time since I have heard from you! You were going through so much when I used to go to the boards.came across you by accident looking at other websites and just "HAD" to see if you were the same lady who helped me out with many craft ideas, etc. Hope this message finds you & your family well. I am sorry about your Mom..I believe she was still hanging tuff when we spoke last
    I have my own website now and would love for you to join us! There have been many changes in my life too in the past few years..have a great week...hope to hear from you soon.Deb
    AKA.....Deb from Pa
    my email
    MAMMABEAR55@GMAIL.COM
    my website
    http://xsorbit28.com/users5/funtimes/index.php#1

    ReplyDelete

Comments made by some special people!