Pages

November 14, 2007

Happy Holidays from the Boyengas



"Christmas Is Coming "


Christmas is coming, the goose is getting fat
Please put a penny in the old man's hat
If you haven't got a penny, a ha'penny
will do
If you haven't got a ha'penny, a farthing
will do
If you haven't got a farthing, then God bless you!

(A farthing is an old British coin valued one quarter of a penny!)




Pictured above , is a dreamy eyed folkart snowman I made, developing a paper pattern from a soccer ball and vase...Sometimes just looking at objects around the house, you can develop a workable pattern. He sits in a wreath of pine which I will be adding vintage ornaments to, once I have them unpacked.

Christmas Is Coming" frequently sung as a round with lyrics as above.
This became the basis for Bing Crosby's songsong "Christmas Is a-Comin'

Ho Ho Ho !!!

Christmas will soon be here .. How many days???






Each year our local Hospice has a Festival Of Trees in the mall, where many trees are decorated in special ways and donated for auction. There is also a country store where handcrafted items donated for sale. This year my dear hubby bought me this adorable birdhouse, which after Thanksgiving will adorn my front porch. Isn't this lovely ! what is nice , is it is flat on the back and makes it easy to hang up...I plan to leave it up year round! I wonder if birds will try to nest inside?

Mom's Christmas Heavenly Hash

My sister reminded me of a few things since posting this we wanted to share.

I remember when there were not any mini marshmallows; Mom would have me cut them up with scissors that you dipped in warm water in-between cutting each one so the scissor would not stick to the marshmallows. Also I remember that we had to cut the grapes in half to remove the seeds; no seedless grapes at that time. We would put together the crushed pineapple, the cut up oranges(no canned mandarin oranges then) and let it set overnight in the refrigerator so the marshmallows would sort of dissolve and make the gooiness; then in the morning the grapes and whipped cream and maraschino cherries would go in and sometimes she put cut up apples with skins on such as Jonathan. . Also chopped pecans. It was quite a dish; more of a dessert.

Ingredients in Heavenly Hash..(today's version)

1 cup drained mandarin oranges
8 1/4 oz can crushed pineapple, well drained
2 cups Cool Whip
1 cup seedless grapes cut in halfs
1 cup miniature marshmallows
1/4 cup chopped maraschino cherries
3 tbsps juice from cherries

coconut 1 cup and chopped nutmeats 1/2 c optional


To make Heavenly Hash Recipe
Mix all ingredients thoroughly. (I add the marshmallows at the last hour before serving)
Chill several hours before serving.
Recipe makes 6 servings of Heavenly Hash

5 comments:

  1. Oh Cindy! I love the things that you do! How delightful and really full with the meaning of true giving at this most precious time of year.
    Many many blessings to you!
    Blondie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Blondie..I appreciate that I am able to spend time with my grandchildren...they are so preciosu to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cindy,
    I just love your work. Please continue to share!!
    Ruthie :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Ruthie. I hope to..it give me a lot of pleasure to share with my friends and family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cindy, Your blog is wonderful. What a nice tribute to your mom too. I'll be checking in frequently. Happy January birthday to you too!

    ReplyDelete

Comments made by some special people!