Pages

January 12, 2008

Cathedral Window Quilt


My sister in law, Donice, began making this variation of a cathedral quilt about 30 years ago...Like many of us tend to do, a project gets started with good intentions and then we put it down and think...this is just way too much ! ......She still had the cut squares nicely put away as a UFO. My sister and I decided this needed to be finished for Donice's grand daughter ( for a wedding gift one day)... We have started a weekly quilting bee ...and can tell , it will be a lot of quality time together talking and sharing and that is always fun!. I won't go into the instructions, as I am just learning...but did come across a good tuitorial on line that gives good step by step pictures and instructions. TBC'D :-)


These are my first attempts..every bit is done by hand. We quite a time learning this..as after all these years, Donice couldn't remember how she had made the first blocks, and we would start laughing at our determination!...but I think we finally got it! Fortunately we had a few of her first block t go by.The "Keeps us in Stitches" quilt club will report back now and then as to our progress! ( Including a wedding date for Elizabeth when she finds "Mr Right")
Update. May 2008 I have made 150 squares and the project is "on hold "now as the garden and yard work seem to be occupying my time...perhaps in the fall...

6 comments:

  1. You go, girl!!!! It's going to be beautiful! I always wanted to make one of those Cathedral quilts. You've inspired me to try again! I wonder if I have enough years left in this 59 year old body to get it done?????? Cora

    ReplyDelete
  2. I learned how to do this technique in an embroidery group meeting. I decided it was too much work, LOL. But the end results are certainly pretty! And it is great way to use up odds and ends fabric pieces. Stick with it and you'll have a quilt by the end of the year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. so lovely....I did this type of quilt years ago but forgot the pattern, thanks for sharing the tutorial...love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this pattern. I've seen it done in black in place of the white and it was quite striking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cindy, a great Blog! Love reading all your stuff and seeing the pictures too. All You gals sure have interesting sites! Love the flowers the gardening memories and the crafts you presented too. Hugs, Betty Mt. Upton , NY

    ReplyDelete

Comments made by some special people!