Pages

July 9, 2011

Don's garden



  Brother Don's garden
 Sharing  an old 2013 blog post...Looks like we will have another bumper crop this year....and lots of canning ahead!


This is my brother Don. I thought I would take my camera down and get a few shots of his lovely garden to share with family out east. I read that Janine and Pat are having trouble  with the large garden they always have enjoyed, due to bad planting conditions out east this year. How I wish we could be sharing all this with them!
Don begins searching the seed catalogs right after Christmas and plans ahead,   for next  Spring's  garden. I guess this comes to the Wellman's naturally though, as our parents were  devoted gardeners .
There is more to the garden you aren't seeing, including an orchard, asparagus bed , raspberry bed, and larger sized horseradish bed.

"Cares melt when you kneel in your garden."






  "One is never closer to God , than when in a garden".


"Work is love made visible." - Khalil Gibran





"What this country needs is dirtier fingernails and cleaner minds."


- Will Rogers




"To cultivate a garden is to walk with God."- Christain Nestell Bovee



Zucchini gone wild! I found a recipe for apple pie..believe it or not..suppose to taste just like apples



"What a man needs in gardening is a cast-iron back, with a hinge in it." 

- Charles Dudley Warner







  "Pea Pickin Pappa!"


"It is better to wear out than to rust out."

These cabbages and tomatoes are growing in my own "weedy" garden..but looking pretty good! These 90 degree temps  are  making it hard to get out and keep up with the weeding this year. I am using grass clipping to mulch around the plants, which helps retain moisture and adds goodies to the soil.


 canned green beans


These photos are taken from muy own garden, which is much smaller than Don's
 I find I do better not staking tomatoes when we have a drought. I just add grass clippings and let them grow...always get a good crop. as you see, I have just dusted recently with Sevin...lots of bugs in our area. It seems that when ever the farmers spray their fields..the Japanese beetles fly into town!   
And one more photo of our  family's Master Gardener..Don Wellman





He doesn't own a computer, or I would never get by with posting these photos ...LOL!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments made by some special people!