Pages

October 10, 2008

What I have been working on.....

I have always loved doing things with ice skates...be it making a pine arrangement in one, using them on a sled on the front porch or in a wreath for the door....Then last year, I decided to try to sew some ornaments that would resememble skates . I couldn't find a small pattern so I drew one out and created my first skate ornaments..may of you may have receved one in a swap.The blades are rusty and came from a wholesale company.( Sunshine Crafts) Above is a graphic that can be used as a pattern for painting or embroidery.
Of course, what I would really love to make , is something like this...a handpainted skate! However, that is way beyond my limits . BTW, this one was painted by Jan Young of Missouri. Maybe we can get her on the blog roll one day to share some of her other creations..she and her sister do amazing work! If you are interested in commisioning some art ..she does an awesome Santa sleighing around a world globe, baby shoes and just paints on about anything you would want painted.! She also sells dried Sweet Annie!
(contact me at primcyn1@yahoo.com and i will put you in touch with Jan.)
Don't you just love this!!!
So this year I decided I needed to make another style of ice skate ornament and came up with this one.( below) .. it is leather-like and has a skate tongue and laces...I will probably add a name to whom receive it and a rusty bell or star to it yet. what do you think? These are being made for a special needs group home. There are 16 clients there and I donate ornaments for their tree each year,I plan to add first names to these...and some glitter yet too! .
Thanks for visiting!

Oh and one more thing to show you....look what I bought at the craft show today! Isn't this the cutest! the talented gal that made this is from Iowa I believe. I love it and just had to have it!

10 comments:

  1. Well I never!!
    They are soo gorgeous...Some people are so inventive and talented!!!
    They are such a sweet christmas addition

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the skates. The handpainted ones are beautiful...are they normal skate size or miniature? You make such neat stuff Cindy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jan Young does awesome work..her HP skates are real skates . I threw the picture in as this is the ultimate skate in my book..isn't it wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's wonderful that you make each of the residents their own ornament ~ they must love that!

    All of the skates are beautiful. The lady that paints the skates though...wowza! She is talented. :)

    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where could we get so of those Blades? I love your little skates.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE THEM WISH I COULD PAINT LIKE THAT!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was lucky enough to get a pair of your skates in the ornie swap last year! I LOVE 'em! The little white ones look adorable too! You are so talented.

    I am still a bit steamed that I didn't win that one auction for Jan's handpainted skates. I want a pair so badly!

    BTW, I've just "tagged" you! Please check my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a pair of the brown ones and they are so well made, love the new white ones, what will you think of next.
    Jan does very pretty skates, I have a pair sitting and waiting to be done, maybe next year, grin

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job!!!! I haven't yet tried to make skates. Love the hand painted ones they are gorgeous. I bought an old pair of skates last year, but I put them outside so I couldn't paint them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your skate ornies so cute . when I was young we lived on farm and I would skate on any frozen peice of ice I could find I would spend hours doing that in the freezing cold lol seeing those brought back some fond memories they are adorable :)

    Hugs
    Renae

    ReplyDelete

Comments made by some special people!