Pages

July 1, 2008

Vintage Jars.for Sale Plus Cherry Picking time!

Old Buttons, Spools, or other Storage Needs???
Collectible Old Ball Jars For Sale

I have had access to these wonderful vintage blue green jars. I use them in my kitchen for storage of raisins, nuts, or other food items and in the sewing room for sorted threads, bobbins etc.. they have lots of storage and decorative uses. I bought some new vintage looking lids for these..most are the black color but do have a couple rusty ones as well. If interested in buying these for storage, I will sell them at 3.00 each plus postage, or the dozen for 35.oo plus postage, lids included.. ( If no lids needed, I will sell jars at 2.00 each plus postage.)At the present time, extra lids to sell separately are not available, and will come with the jars only. I have many jars, but once jars are sold, I will remove this offer. I have a Paypal account, accept checks and money orders within the continental USA . All shipments will be made by priority mail with a delivery confirmation . Thanks for your inquiries! For more info, primcyn@thewisp.net
Thanks to Ann Marie for leaving this comment!
This simple Life said...
If you are thinking about getting any of these jars, DO IT. You won't be disappointed. I got mine today and am please as punch!
June 25, 2008 12:02 PM

Grab your pail and get some cherries!


Every June, mom and dad would bring out a lard pail, or buckets for us to put picked cherries or berries in. Do you remember when lard came in metal buckets with handles? If not, you are much younger than me! It was a perfect sized for holding blackberries, raspberries , or cherries and often used for this purpose..as we children would always help in the harvest of berries. There were five children in our family..mom and dad always took us with them either to Henry Shaun's woods for raspberries or to our own back yard cherry tree..and we picked, ate and picked some more. Mom canned everything we could gather in the summers, and this brings such good memories back to me! here is a picture of a lard can or similar we would use. We also had berry boxes, but those had no handles and usually weren't favored to use.



I was outside today picking cherries, and the memory of cherry juice running down my arm soon came to back to me...I was soon covered in juice! I picked a pail full today, pitted them and put them in the freezer for cobbler this winter. This is a recipe similar to that mom would make. The almond added just the Right taste!

Mom's Cherry Cobbler


1 1/4 cups sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
4 cups pitted fresh tart cherries
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
1 cup flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons shortening
1/2 cup milk
Preparation:Preheat oven to 400°. Blend 1 1/4 cups sugar, cornstarch, cherries, and almond extract in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and boils. Continue to boil and stir for 1 minute. Pour fruit mixture into an ungreased 2-quart casserole. Place in oven while preparing dough.
Measure flour, 1 tablespoon sugar, baking powder, and salt into a mixing bowl. Add shortening and milk. Cut shortening in several times then stir until dough forms a ball. Drop dough in about 6 spoonfuls onto hot fruit. Bake 25 to 30 minutes, or until topping is golden brown. Serve warm with cream, if desired, or cool slightly and serve with vanilla ice cream.

5 comments:

  1. How wonderful that they had a beautiful day - Holly looks lovely! Best wishes to Holly and Dustin. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best wishes and Happiness always Dustin and Holly!...what a lovely bride you are! Aunt Cindy and Uncle Bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wish we could have there to enjoy the day with you. Looks like a beautiful, windy day ...the flowers were fantastic. My favorite verses are Prov. 3:5,6. God will bless your life together as you seek to follow him in your decisions. Love, Aunt Karen and Uncle Jerry

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Aunt Cindy,
    I finally got a chance to check out your blog and I love it! All of your pictures of the family, your flowers, your crafts...they are all so special, I love the stories you accompany with each one. I look forward to seeing more of your posts! Love you!
    ~Liz

    ps-Holly looks so happy! I really hope her and Dustin will be happy together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations Holly and Dustin! Looks like everything turned out beautiful for your special day.

    ReplyDelete

Comments made by some special people!