Pages

November 4, 2007

Change is a good thing!

I seem to feel old at times, as this ornament seems worn from aging, but one day I looked at it and thought..yes, it is still useful and has beauty within. .and it spoke to me that life is ever changing and it is good to make changes. I find myself ready for new beginnings with crafts, in salvaging beautiful ornaments as this is. . . It was refurbished by Emily Franz who brought it back to its natural beauty and use as a Dresden tree ornament. . I realize this is not a quick-fix hobby and will take plenty of time to learn, but done right, what a marvelous thing to be able to do! My grandparents came from Germany in the late 1800's. and with them, their traditional ornaments. I wish I had them, but perhaps can recreate my grandma's tree, as mom often spoke of in detail, including the German Putz displayed under their tree.
this week I am gathering the supplies, vintage tinsel, 34 gauge wire, jewelry making tools, card stock, German glass glitter, lambs wool, and so on..once I have a good stash of supplies ready and will set up a work station here in my downstairs family room, I have two grandsons that no doubt will want to help grandma make things too..sharing this experience on doing simpler ornaments for children to make , will be fun! I plan to make this ornament from an old glass ball ornament from my moms tree and a bird she had, in need some TLC and tail!

3 comments:

  1. What a beautiful ornament Cindy. I'm sure the ornaments you and the boys will make will turn out wonderful as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Angie! One thing for sure, even if they don't turn out right.. will make for wonderful memories at grandmas... they love making things with grandma!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm looking forward to seeing your new vintage ornaments when you have them finished.

    ReplyDelete

Comments made by some special people!